Saturday, June 15, 2013

Favorite Songs of 2013 (So Far)

1. Frightened Rabbit-Acts of Man
 
I have never wanted more to be your man and build a house around you
I am just like all the rest of them: sorry, selfish, trying to improve

2. Phosphorescent-Song For Zula
 
See honey I am not some broken thing
I do not lay in the dark waiting for thee
No my heart is gold, my feet are light
And I am racing out on the desert plains all night

3. Laura Marling-I Was An Eagle
 
When we were in love
I was an eagle
And you were a dove

4. Chvrches-Recover
 
I'll give you one more chance
To say we can change our old ways
And you take what you need
And you know you don't need me

5. Tegan and Sara-Now I'm All Messed Up
Now I'm all messed up
I'm sick inside, wondering where
Where you're leaving your makeup


6. Jim James-Dear One
 
For this mission we were chosen you and me
One egg that split in two we came to be
The dawn of humanity
We were there
Dear one

7. Rhye-Open
 
Hmm, but stay, don't close your hands

8. Frightened Rabbit & Manchester Orchestra-Architect
 
Don't waste your time on me
I'm just an architect; I have built nothing

9. The National-Pink Rabbits
 
It wasn't like a rain it was more like a sea
I didn't ask for this pain it just came over me
I love a storm, but I don't love lightning
All the waters coming up so fast, that's frightening

10. Frank Turner-Recovery
 
And on the first night we met you said "Well darling, let's make a deal.
If anybody ever asks us, let's just tell them that we met in jail."
And that's the story that I'm sticking to like a stony-faced accomplice
But tonight I need to hear some truth if I'm ever getting through this.
Yeah you once sent me a letter that said "If you're lost at sea,
Close your eyes and catch the tide my dear and only think of me."
Well darling now I'm sinking and I'm as lost as lost can be
And I was hoping you could drag me up from down here towards my recovery

11. Akron/Family-Until the Morning
 
I had always wondered how you carried all that grief
I know it wasn't right to saddle you with mine
My life, my identity, I lay them at your feet
And stand here broken in the mirror of your eyes
Until the morning

12. James Blake-Overgrown
I don't wanna be a star
But a stone on the shore
Long door, frame the wall
When everything's overgrown


13. Majical Cloudz-This is Magic
apparently this track isn't on YouTube so enjoy this other great Majical Cloudz track
 

14. Capital Cities-Safe and Sound
I could fill your cup
You know my river won't evaporate
This world we still appreciate


15. Vampire Weekend-Ya Hey
  
Through the fire and through the flames
You won't even say your name
Only "I am that I am"
But who could ever live that way?

16. Frightened Rabbit-The Woodpile
Come find me now, where I hide and
We’ll speak in our secret tongues
Will you come back to my corner?
Spent too long alone tonight
Would you come and brighten my corner?
A lit torch to the woodpile, aye


(Okay, look, the album version is perfect, really, but...I've actually grown to enjoy acoustic versions of this song more. Scott Hutchison sings with such an ache and so much emotion that a lot of times, stripped down versions of his songs work better for me.)

17. Phosphorescent-The Quotidian Beasts
 
I said, "It’s you took your claws you slipped em under my skin"

18. The National-I Should Live in Salt
 
I should live in salt for leaving you behind

19. Cloud Cult-Good Friend
 
All I need is a good, good friend
To help me out when I’m burning down
When I’m all stretched out
Thank you for being around 

20. Bell x1-The End is Nigh

No comments:

Post a Comment