Sunday, July 26, 2015

Song of the Week

I'm going to try a new series, simply to motivate myself to write more. Anywho, I'm going to write a bit each week about a song (and eventually, an album) I'm really into.

This week belongs to Titus Andronicus, their epic (and I hate using that word so you know I mean it) 98-minute brilliant opus The Most Lamentable Tragedy (more on that on a later date.) There's a lot to digest, and I'm sure a lot to hate but Titus has never been an easy band to love. They're never love at first listen, even for me, and I'm one of their biggest champions. I just think Patrick Stickles is one of the great geniuses of indie rock at the moment, and incredibly underrated. I mean, The Monitor is one of the best records to be released in the last ten years, and it still holds up five years later (believe me, I just listened to it the other day.) Stickles writes unapologetically ugly yet epic, theatrical rock and roll. And God knows, we don't have enough people doing that anymore. This R&B influence in the indie world is cool and fine and I love a lot of it but sometimes I want some guitars, know what I'm saying? Titus Andronicus is meat-and-potatoes rock and roll with some of the best lyrics you'll find in music today.

But you knew all of that because well, you all know how I feel about Titus Andronicus.

So, the song of the week is "Dimed Out." The first time I heard it, I thought, "Eh, noise." But listening to it within the context of the record (sandwiched between "Fired Up" and  "More Perfect Union," which are equally good) made me realize how fantastic it is. I especially love the contrast of the urgency of the guitars and the backing strings.


No comments:

Post a Comment