Saturday, January 2, 2016

Favorite Albums of 2015

1. Viet Cong-Viet Cong
Naming my favorite album of 2015 is tough because nothing truly touched me, or shaped my year as much as Dry the River's Shallow Bed did. But that record is three years old, and I'd rather not talk about it. So I turned to the two records I just thought were the strongest releases of the year, Viet Cong and Are You Alone? Which ranks higher? One is all head, the other is all heart. But still two incredible, albeit different, records. So they're tied.

Viet Cong is probably the best new band since Fleet Foxes. And their debut is one of the best debuts in a long, long time. It's like an assault, and doesn't give you a chance to breathe at at point throughout. It's so incredible cohesive, and there isn't a weak track among the eight on the album. And wow, what tracks those are. "Continental Shelf" is one of the bet songs to come out in years, and "Death" is incredible and ambitious and lets you lose yourself for eleven minutes. I cannot wait to hear what Viet Cong has in store for the future. No matter what they call themselves.

Favorite Tracks: Continental Shelf, Death, Silhouettes


Majical Cloudz-Are You Alone?
I wrote about this record in detail so I won't go too into it but this album is special. It does the perfect job of expressing that anxiety over wanting to be with people even though people have let you down in the past. Devon Walsh's songs feel real and relatable.

Favorite Tracks: Downtown, Are You Alone?, Disappeared 

3. Sufjan Stevens-Carrie & Lowell
I have been a Sufjan Stevens' fan for a long time. A long, long, long time. And his music had a significant role in my high school and college years. While I worship Illinois, I almost want to say that Carrie and Lowell is his best record. Because this is Sufjan at his (understandably) most vulnerable. It's (obviously) his most personal collection of songs. It may not have all the bells and whistles of his previous works but this one cuts so deep, and it's a thing of beauty.

Favorite Tracks: Eugene, Fourth of July, Carrie & Lowell

4. Frank Turner-Positive Songs for Negative People
Sometimes one of your favorites is trusty and reliable and puts out a great album of pop songs.

Favorite Tracks: Josephine, The Next Storm, Glorious You

5. Beach House-Depression Cherry/Thank Your Lucky Stars
Yes, I'm grouping these together. Perhaps that is unfair, perhaps that is just buying into the whole "everything they put out sounds the same" bullshit that everyone brings up whenever Beach House enters the conversation but for me, I group them together because well, it's all Beach House. And I love Beach House. They are probably the most consistent band around right now (hey, Frightened Rabbit too but it's possible I'm a wee bit biased there) and I'm not sure why Victoria Legrand isn't considered one of the best female songwriters around. Depression Cherry hit me right away, it was heavy and dark and beautiful but Thank Your Lucky Stars took a bit of time for me to fall in love. It seems way more playful, flirtatious even, and Victoria Legrand even sounds pretty sexy.

Favorite Tracks: Bluebird, Sparks, The Traveler

6. Joanna Newsom-Divers
A Joanna Newsom record with drums and guitars? With songs shorter than six minutes? What world are we living in? But it didn't disappoint at all. In fact, about fifty seconds into "Anecdotes," I was ready to burst into tears just from hearing her harp again in a brand new song. Because it was all just so beautiful. Joanna makes us wait and wait and then really delivers. I just love it. If I have any complaints about this record, it's that I wish there was more harp and less piano, and her lyrics aren't as clear on this record than before so it makes it harder to follow them. And c'mon, that's why you listen to Joanna Newsom, right?

Favorite Tracks: Leaving the City, Divers, Sapokanikan, Time, As a Symptom

7. Lower Dens-Escape From Evil
I don't mean to be reductive, and I think Jana Hunter is great but it's like Beach House with more guitars! Regardless, it is an incredibly strong pop record. Not a weak song among the bunch. I didn't care for Lower Dens' debut, but now I definitely need to revisit it.

Favorite Tracks: Company, I Am The Earth, Quo Vadis

8. Editors-In Dream
I've liked Editors for a few years now, mostly because of Tom Smith's incredible voice. When I found out they released a new record (and hey, toured with The Twilight Sad! Why aren't I British!?) I figured, "Okay, I'll give it a whirl." And nothing but "Ocean Of Night" really stuck out at me. But for some reason, I kept going back to this record. And started watching some live videos on YouTube and I was floored at how incredible they sound live. They really expand their sound, and bring it. I mean, listen to a full band version of "Nothing." How could you possibly improve on a song that good? Oh, but they do! Editors live, it seems, are what I want The National to be. I'm really excited t see them live for myself in February.

Anyway, In Dream. I have totally fallen in love with it over the last few weeks, and I'm just warning you: Editors could be my band of 2016. That's how it's shaping up already.

Favorite Tracks: Ocean Of Night, Forgiveness, Life Is a Fear

9. Chvrches-Every Open Eye
What is my favorite genre of music? Sad bastard acoustic pop? Moody bastard rock? Pop-punk with a lot of "oh ohs" and "yeah yeahs?" Well, I'm beginning to think it's female-fronted electro-pop. And there's nobody doing it better these days than Chvrches. This record wasn't as great as The Bones of What You Believe but it's still a solid pop record. And Lauren Mayberry has definitely become a better singer.

Favorite Tracks: Leave a Trace, Clearest Blue, Keep You On My Side

10. My Morning Jacket-The Waterfall
Much like Frank Turner's newest record, this is a collection of songs by a trusty and true rock band. My Morning Jacket are great at what they do, and this album is just one more example. Sometimes you don't have to reinvent the wheel to do something great. Yet another record without a weak or skippable track. And c'mon, there aren't many front men better than Jim James.

Favorite Tracks: Thin Line, Get the Point, Compound Fracture

11. Titus Andronicus-The Most Lamentable Tragedy
Too many people ignored this record, and unjustly so. Patrick Stickles is a straight out genius, and this is just one more example of his brilliance. Not everyone would even attempt to write a triple-disc, 98 minute rock opera with an intermission, full-on choral numbers, "Auld Lang Syne," a Pogues (!) cover, and an actual plot with characters! I feel like Stickles was always building up to this, and it's refreshing to find a meat-and-potatoes rock band being this ambitious. Rock is somewhat ignored these days because people don't seem to think you can do anything ambitious or innovative. Well, Titus Andronicus proves again and again that that is bullshit.

Favorite Tracks: Dimed Out, Fired Up, Stranded (On My Own)

Honorable Mentions:
Belle and Sebastian-Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance
Panda Bear-Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
Admiral Fallow-Tiny Rewards
Destroyer-The Poison Hour

Most Disappointing Records:

Beirut-No, No, No
I've spoke about this at length but I'm sorry to say this record just didn't work for me a whole. It felt like sketches or ideas of songs, and nothing except for "No, No, No" and "Gibraltar" felt full fleshed out and realized. But I still love Beirut, and they came off way better live, so I'll just accept this album with a shrug, and be glad we got two great songs off of it.

Ellie Goulding-Delirium
I'm not sure why I'm so disappointed in this record. Well, I guess because I LOVE her second album. I still listen to it to this day. But between then and Delirium, Ellie blew up. And that's okay. She's great, I love her, I want her to do well. But Delirium is just another run-of-the-mill mainstream pop record, and it's stripped of anything that made Ellie stand out from all the other female pop stars. I do think the second half of the record is pretty strong, and there are some very enjoyable songs on the album but Ellie doesn't show any personality on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment